On our instant cost estimator, potential clients looking to have a solar system designed and installed for them can supply us information on the type and number of appliances they intend to add to a solar power system. Alongside additional information on the number of hours they use those appliances during the day and between 9PM and 2PM. A cost estimate is automatically generated and mailed back to them. This estimate is pending a site visit and further negotiations after which the cost can be adjusted for logistics and other factors.
Our first contact with this lead was through our instant cost estimator. The design consideration for project was a system that could power a country home, offset grid power and provide hours of backup time. The system was tied to the grid and incorporated batteries to maximise self-consumption. It incorporated the following:
1. Nine (9) 300W monocrystalline Era Solar panels connected in 3 strings of 3 panels each.
2. A 5kVA Growatt inverter. The definitive feature of Growatt inverters is that they are transformerless inverters. The major difference between the conventional inverter and the transformerless inverter is that the transformer is replaced with a computerized multi-step process and other electronic components. These components play the role of the transformer, that is, convert the DC generated by the solar panels to AC.
As TL inverters has no transformers, Growatt inverters are light, compact, and far relatively cheaper than conventional inverters.
The inverter has intelligent hybrid capabilities meaning that it will simultaneously manage inputs from both solar panels and a battery bank, then charge the batteries with either solar panels or the electricity grid, depending on availability, consumption or preference for use at a later time, mostly nighttime.
3. This system dispenses with a charge controller because the Growatt inverter incorporates a 100A charge controller. Most Growatt inverters incorporate charge controller functions. This adds to their allure as well as to the costs.
4. Four (4) Ritar AGM batteries. In solar power systems, batteries play mostly storage functions, that is, they store energy produced from solar panels for later use especially in the absence of sunlight and grid power. They contribute the most to the total financial investment on the system.
In this case, the choice of AGM batteries was because they are the safest battery design. They can be installed in living spaces without any concerns about the safety of the user. They emit gases only when severely overcharged. They eliminate worries about explosions. They are also maintenance-free for life and do not require constant maintenance.
4. Additional protection features. In addition to the protection features provided by the inverter against reverse current, overload and overcharge, the system incorporates extra protection features including AC and DC circuit breakers and surge adapters. They offer additional protection to the client's investment. They also make it easy and safe to disconnect the system from the panels in the case of emergencies like lightning that could damage the inverter or appliances or even solar panel fires.
SolarKobo helps homeowners and businesses in Lagos and elsewhere in Nigeria figure out their power needs and make the best possible choice of all solar products including batteries, solar panels and charge controllers that meet their peculiar power needs and fit their budgets. We also have university-trained engineers who provide the best possible installation services on order.